What is Run to the Sun?
Run to the Sun is a long-distance overnight relay run and fundraiser to benefit Beyond Batten Disease Foundation (BBDF). Teams of runners cover over 95 miles overnight, and they stand together at sunrise to share in the hope for a cure for this cruel, fatal disease. Run to the Sun starts at Enchanted Rock State Park the afternoon of Saturday, April 20, 2013 and ends the following day at Laguna Gloria in Austin. Each relay team consists of a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 10 members, has a designated team captain, and commits to raise $5,000 for the Foundation. This year, we hope to raise over $200,000 to support research for a treatment or cure. This event brings together over 250 community members from Austin, including social, business and running leaders, for a fun and memorable experience.
- Beyond Batten Disease Foundation will host a relay run April 20-21, 2013.
- The relay will start at Enchanted Rock State Park.
- The event will finish at Laguna Gloria at sunrise.
- The relay route will be approximately 95 miles.
- 25-40 teams of 6 to 10 members per team will participate. In 2012, we hosted 25 teams.
- Support events will include a Team Captain Kickoff, a pre-relay equipment check for every team, a finale party including entertainment and food and a post-event appreciation reception.
- Estimated run time is 10 to 16.5 hours.
- Afternoon kickoff with staggered start times.
- The finale event will include breakfast, awards presentation and activities for runners’ families and loved ones.
- The relay will include 16 sections ranging from 4 to 7 miles each. There will be designated exchange points.
- Teams will start according to their estimated run times in order to allow all teams to finish together at sunrise. Team members can complete as many sections of the run as they would like.
Lance Thompson is the Relay Founder and Event Chair. Beyond Batten is working with Rachel Armbruster of Armbruster Consulting to provide project management and fundraising support for our Team Captains.
Jay Hilscher of Lone Star Relays is producing the relay event. Lone Star Relays produces a series of relay events in Central Texas including the Hillie Billie, Texas Independence Relay, and the Capital to the Alamo Relay. Lone Star Relay’s number one concern is safety and runner support, but they also enjoy producing memorable events that people enjoy.
Run to the Sun Relay in the News